Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements

Welcome to Zelda64.net. Announcements can be found below!

6.26.2018  Make sure you keep your passwords safe. If you use the same password on here as on other sites, it is highly recommended that you change it. If you can't change your password, and want it changed, let me or other active staff know, and we can force a reset or change it for you. ~PwnzLPs
Welcome to Zelda64. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. A valid email address is required. Your email address will NOT be sold as it is only needed to prevent spammers (and admittedly, some still get around this, but this makes it a bit more difficult, plus, if the moderators need to contact you, we have an email on file to do so). Thanks for considering us!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
(DBG) Custom Music with InstEd
Topic Started: May 18 2014, 12:50 PM (4,684 Views)
Sylux102
Member Avatar
Founder
It is assumed you have a few programs and access to this forum site. This is pretty straight forward but I decided to make a tut so others wouldn't repeat my mistakes.

Required Items:
InstEd (duh)
Any MIDI editor (I'm on windows and use mixcraft but any will do)
Data table of song numbers (found in song replacement tutorial)

Step 1:

Open InstEd. Also open the ROM you are going to edit.

Step 2:

Prepare an MIDI to be used. Instruments don't matter. Neither does length, but make sure it's loopable (if you want looping) and make sure there is only one note played at any given time on the same track (ie no chords, split those up into different tracks)

Step 3:

Go back to InstEd and make a new instrument set. This is done using what the program first displays. The table on the left is for the instrument number, and the expandable tree on the left is for selecting the actual instrument. So click in any of the slots on the right (on my pc they say "none") and then find and select an instrument from the left. That slot on the right should now display the instrument you selected (ie on mine it goes from "none" to "violin")

Step 4:

Save the set as a binary file in an easy to access place (desktop etc). It should show up as xx.zset, where xx is the filename you gave it.

Step 5:

Find the MIDI converter (somewhere next to file option should be a drop down with this utility in it) open your MIDI and click convert. This will create .txt files from the MiDI tracks.

Step 6:

Open each .txt file (except control.txt) and add the line "instr XX" in the first section (ie before big empty space) where XX is the number of the instrument in the zset you created. This is the instrument used for that track.

Step 7:

Go to the same menu you found the converter in and there should be more options. One is "insert instrument set to ROM" or something similar. Open that and then open your ROM and your zset. Where it says "0x03" or something like that is the instrument set from OoT you will replace. Spinouts site has a list for those sets. Change it to the one that the song you are replacing uses. Then click insert.

Step 8:

Almost the same process a above, except open the MIDI inserted and open your ROM and control.txt (created by the midi converter). Where it says "2" you change to the song you want to replace. Click insert and you're done. Simply recalculate CRC with GZRT or something like that and test!

But wait! I want to replace the lost woods song, and the code is 3E! InstEd says "3E is an invalid integer"! How do I do this?

For all songs it is easier to take a little extra time to type in "0x".before the code. So the "2" would change to "0x3E" to replace lost woods. DO NOT TYPE A DECIMAL NUMBER! IT WILL CRASH YOUR ROM ON LOAD!

I hope this helps! Questions will be answered!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Having issues, unfortunately, can't seem to get this to work at all.

Here's the MIDI I'm using: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99106620/Dearly_Beloved.mid

The steps taken are as follows (writing these down as I do them):

1.) Duplicate original ROM (keeping backups FTW)

2.) Open InstEd

3.) Create new instrument set

4.) Original MIDI has four channels, all piano. So I assign "Piano" to channels 0 - 3 in InstEd.

5.) Saved as DearlyBeloved.zset

6.) Tools / MIDI Sequence Converter. Selected "DearlyBeloved.mid", it spits out control.txt plus the following files:
Quote:

ch2_ch__1.txt
ch3_ch__2.txt
ch4_ch__3.txt
ch5_ch__4.txt

7.) Opened each of these channel files and added right after the .h line for each file:
Quote:

in ch2_ch__1.txt I added:
instr 0

in ch3_ch__2.txt I added:
instr 1

in ch4_ch__3.txt I added:
instr 2

in ch5_ch__4.txt I added:
instr 3

8.) Tools / Insert Instrument Set to ROM
Opened duplicated ROM, opened DearlyBeloved.zset, used default settings and clicked Insert.

9.) Tools / Zelda Sequence Builder
Opened "control.txt", pressed Build Sequence and exported to DearlyBeloved.zseq

10.) Tools / Insert Sequence to ROM
Opened duplicated ROM again, opened DearlyBeloved.zseq, used default settings and clicked Insert

11.) Opened GZRT

12.) Picked my modified ROM. Wait for GZRT to byteswap the ROM.

13.) Clicked "Operations / Fix CRC". CRC 1 and CRC 2 both have a green icon next to them, and "Fix" is greyed out. I assume this means the checksum is fine? So I just closed it at this point.

PROJECT 64 v1.6 RESULTS
I get two successive "Failed to allocate memory" errors and ROM refuses to boot.

MUPEN64 0.5.1 RESULTS
Just freezes on trying to open the ROM. I have to close it from the Task Manager.

I also notice my ROM file is now WAY bigger than the original (original was 256MB, modded is now over 1000 MB), which could be a clue.
Quote Post Goto Top

Shakem Beckford
Member Avatar
Shakem Beckford
Firstly your MIDI is too complexed for OoT. It has multiple notes on one channel.
Edited by Ideka, Feb 18 2015, 01:51 AM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Don't know how I missed that the first time I cleaned it up in FL Studio >.>
Anyway, I actually ended up reducing it down to two tracks - just the higher and lower piano notes, and no concurrent notes in a single track.

Now, however, InstEd refuses to insert the sequence into the ROM - it gives me "I/O error 131"

EDIT: For that matter, I can't even insert the included "minigame" example either, taking the same steps (making the zset file, exporting the tracks, making a zseq file, inserting zset into ROM, inserting zseq into ROM). Same error.
Quote Post Goto Top

Shakem Beckford
Member Avatar
Shakem Beckford
Ensure that ur files are not open in any other programmes.
Edited by Ideka, Feb 18 2015, 01:49 AM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Nope, nothing has them open. Just to be sure I started from scratch with a new duplicate of my ROM and re-created my zseq file again from scratch, still can't insert into the ROM file. WTF.

EDIT
Here's my ZSET and ZSEQ files if anybody else wants to give it a try. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99106620/DearlyBeloved_OOT.zip
Quote Post Goto Top

Shakem Beckford
Member Avatar
Shakem Beckford
KillaMaaki
Feb 18 2015, 01:15 AM
Nope, nothing has them open. Just to be sure I started from scratch with a new duplicate of my ROM and re-created my zseq file again from scratch, still can't insert into the ROM file. WTF.

EDIT
Here's my ZSET and ZSEQ files if anybody else wants to give it a try. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99106620/DearlyBeloved_OOT.zip
Hey I tried your files. They import nicely. I tested it with the Voyager of Time rom. If you want to hear it in the game you will need Nemu64 because Project64 will say "In a permanent loop that can not be exited check rom and rom settings."

PwnzLPs
Member Avatar
Global Moderator and Self Proclaimed BBCode Expert
BUG FIX:
Quote:

In a permanent loop that can not be exited. Check rom and rom settings.

Open your rom in GZRT (google it) and fix the CRC.

Deleted User
Deleted User

So apparently my I/O error was because I fucked up the ROM by having Mupen64 calculate the MD5. Deleted the ROM and re-downloaded it. This time no I/O error when inserting instrument set and sequence.

GZRT still doesn't give me the option to fix the CRC (The "Fix" button in the popup dialogue is greyed out).

Mupen64 still seems to just freeze on opening the ROM. Project64 still gives two successive "Failed to allocate memory" errors. Will probably download and give Nemu64 a try as well.

EDIT: Nemu64 also gets stuck on "Loading Rom 0%", seemingly forever.
Quote Post Goto Top

Shakem Beckford
Member Avatar
Shakem Beckford
PwnzLPs
Feb 18 2015, 05:06 PM
BUG FIX:
Quote:

In a permanent loop that can not be exited. Check rom and rom settings.

Open your rom in GZRT (google it) and fix the CRC.
Thank you so much. It works. The programme was in Sylux's modding tools.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tutorials · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: