Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements

Welcome to Zelda64.net. Announcements can be found below!

6.26.2018  Make sure you keep your passwords safe. If you use the same password on here as on other sites, it is highly recommended that you change it. If you can't change your password, and want it changed, let me or other active staff know, and we can force a reset or change it for you. ~PwnzLPs
Welcome to Zelda64. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. A valid email address is required. Your email address will NOT be sold as it is only needed to prevent spammers (and admittedly, some still get around this, but this makes it a bit more difficult, plus, if the moderators need to contact you, we have an email on file to do so). Thanks for considering us!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
[MM] Moving files
Topic Started: Nov 20 2015, 03:40 PM (2,655 Views)
Ideka
Member Avatar

Alright, a lot of people have asked for this, so here it finally is. Beware though, I haven't tested this method fully out. It could potentially host some issues.

Also, this tutorial is not finished. It should however provide you with all of the information necessary to successfully move a file, even if all steps aren't explained in detail yet.
Software used in this tutorial:
  • HxD - hex editor to modify binary ROM image (the game data)

• rn64crc - tool to recalculate the CRC checksums of a modified ROM

• Decompressed Majora's Mask N64 ROM of choice (you can use ndec to decompress your N64 Zelda ROMs)

Example of the process (simpler explanations)

WIP General explanation of the process (overly detailed, but hopefully well-explained)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: MovingFilesTutorial.rar (91.28 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SoundBlitz
Member Avatar

I don't know if this tip applys to majora's mask but in oot. If you search for the start and end addresses of the file your replacing you can repoint those. It sounds faster but I could be wrong.
Edited by SoundBlitz, Nov 20 2015, 04:09 PM.

JabuJabule
Member Avatar
The Awakened Hero
I feel like this tutorial could be formatted into steps and written a lot better. A big chunk of text is meaningless to newbies such as I. Along with that, I have some questions.

1. "Fire up your hex editor and open up your ROM and file in it. In the file you want to move, hit CTRL+A and then CTRL+C to copy the entire file binary. Switch over to the ROM." I don't understand this at all. Aren't we already IN the ROM? It says "Switch over to the ROM" but in the beginning it says open up your ROM already.

2. What is a DMA?

I think that's it, considering it's hard to follow from the start. :/

Ideka
Member Avatar

Sorry about that. This tutorial is not finished, but (eventhough it might be confusing) it should give you all the information necessary to be able to move a file. Therefore I figured that I could as well post a WIP version of the tutorial instead of releasing the full version much later. But yes, improvements are to come soon, I intend for this tutorial to be as noob-friendly as possible!

@SoundBlitz:
That's essentially what we're doing here, but instead of searching for both the start- and end-offset, we're just searching for the start-offset of the file. This is because one of the pointers that need to be replaced just points to the start of the file and doesn't include the end-offset.
Edited by Ideka, Nov 21 2015, 02:57 AM.

vexiant
Member Avatar

I agree with Jabu in relation to creating it to be more userfriendly, while also being informative. Here is something I sent to a friend recently pertaining to the F3DZEX page on CloudModding just to give you a frame of mind of what is wrong with tutorials and guides in zelda communities (and others even outside of Nintendo 64). I've been also updating pages there in a hopefully attempt that it's of much avail to someone.

vexiant

If you think you're up to the challenge, I'd say you should make a tutorial displaying how you can use the information displayed on the F3DZEX page in a practical manner. All the while, have it be informative, elaborate as to how and why things work a particular way, etc etc. Most individuals who concoct tutorials neglect relating to individuals by either using superficial wording, or pointless jargon that can just as easily be put in parentheses (so that they're not completely ignorant to the fact of the process). I know this first had, as I was like this upon first entering the scene: Most noobs do not learn anything you tell them (as it's usually not put properly anyways, as stated above), but usually instead merely copy the process behind how to do said "tutorial." That of course renders their 'newly acquired knowledge' useless. Moreover, when I joined, I wasn't fortunate enough to be around the plethora of tutorials and guides that are now present, but I did befriend Flotonic, Twili and others early on, and still failed to wrap my head around everything. Granted, I was hardheaded then, but the primary issue, in my opinion, was lack of "good" quality in tutorials which are still present today.

With that said though, I'm no teacher myself. Teaching is much like that of leadership; it's a practical skill that not every "Joe" can master and can be hard to come by. I study philosophy and have read Plato's Republic, but I kind of put two and two together out of my own personal introspection. Nonetheless, do or don't, you're doing an excellent job. Keep up the good work!
Edited by vexiant, Nov 21 2015, 03:10 PM.

zelda5655
Member Avatar
project 3ds team leader.
This is a great WIP tutorial.
I can't wait until it is finished. :)
this will help me with my mm 3d link port.
Keep up the good work. :)
OMG it worked this method actually worked!
It took me a hard time to understand this tutorial but I finally got it down you did it man you found a working free space method!
If you don't mind @ideka.
I would like to rewrite out this tutorial finishing it if you don't mind. And thanks for finding this method I've been looking for this for a long time. :)
Edited by zelda5655, Apr 30 2016, 08:30 AM.

mzxrules

Dunno why the tutorial is tagged [MM], OoT uses the same file system

Ideka
Member Avatar

@zelda5655:
I'm already in process of writing a simpler version of this tutorial, as well as cleaning up and finishing the existing one. Please don't write your own tutorial of this very same process; it'll just make things less organized and will probably also confuse people.

Actually, I guess you can go ahead and write your own tutorial. But I'd prefer if you post it in this topic, just to keep the forums more organized. Good luck!

@mzxrules:
The process of moving files in MM seems to require more steps than that of OoT, in my experience.

In OoT, I've only ever needed to replace one single pointer (namely in the DMA table, I believe) when moving files. In MM, however, the game crashes on me unless I replace all of the three pointers discussed in the above tutorial.

This same process could potentially work with OoT as well, I guess. But since there already is a simpler method for that game, I chose to tag this tutorial specifically with "[MM]", to avoid confusion.

zelda5655
Member Avatar
project 3ds team leader.
ok I will leave it to you then. :)

mzxrules

I don't see how your "simpler" method is very practical Ideka. If you're only replacing "one pointer", then that means you're just moving the file to a different rom address without resizing it.
Edited by mzxrules, Apr 30 2016, 10:29 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Beginner Tutorials · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: