Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements

Welcome to Zelda64.net. Announcements can be found below!
As of 3.1.2017, this site seems pretty dead. Or on the brink of dying. So I've decided to try to help it out. Z64 is having its theme reworked to be more modern and professional. I'll try my best to get back into the Zelda modding scene. Hopefully we can get this place back up without the cobwebs (and without looking like a web page from the 1990s). Enjoy the current Zelda64 Dark theme over the next few days while I finish sorting out the rest of it and the Light theme. Thanks for sticking with us. Sylux102 out.
Welcome to Zelda64. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. A valid email address is required. Your email address will NOT be sold as it is only needed to prevent spammers (and admittedly, some still get around this, but this makes it a bit more difficult, plus, if the moderators need to contact you, we have an email on file to do so). Thanks for considering us!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Out of the Frying Pan; Into the Fire
Topic Started: Mar 2 2017, 02:55 AM (4,489 Views)
Sylux102
Member Avatar
Founder
Sylux102 reporting. After being long gone, and only occasionally checking in, I've decided to come back. This site really should be taken more seriously and a great first step is cleaning it up and bringing it out of the 1990's. As I visited, i noticed a few things about the site, which I will address.

First, you're probably wondering why I'm back. Well, much of it is quite personal, but the basic short version is that I'm now a social pariah, which allows me a lot of freedom actually. I also am employed again, which means I can now afford to pay my cable and internet bills, which will help me stick around for a bit longer. Also, I've decided to take a much more professional approach to managing this site. Hopefully this will contribute to a healthy forum environment.

As some of you may have already seen, I created a new logo that is much more modern and professional looking, and will be continuing to renovate the site. Something that I take very seriously is feedback, so I do appreciate any and all feedback I receive about any changes I make. If you don't like it, say so! If you don't tell me, I can't fix the error caused on your screen, because I can't see your screen (or can I?). But seriously. Feedback. Think about it.

Regarding the site, it seems that this forum was (or maybe still is) the butt of many a joke across most other Zelda modding sites. I want to change this. There were a few things I noticed were being said. One was that this forum is full of a bunch of crying babies that create new projects and then quickly abandon them or start something new before moving on (even I am guilty of the latter and will readily admit my mistakes). I have an idea to solve this problem, but it will take a bit more fine tuning before it is fully realized. Another thing was that I didn't know what I was doing, and that not many members here were knowledgeable about the Nintendo64 Zelda games. I will admit I am no technical genius when it comes to modding, there are quite a few talented people that were here, and hopefully they can come back. As far as my moderation goes, I will keep Ideka on as a moderator as he seems to really be the only active mod anymore.

This site really isn't seen by too many people, so we need a way to increase traffic. If anyone as a project that can be featured here, please PM me so we can coordinate. However, something new and fresh needs to be featured here as well. I've got something in the works to accommodate this as well, but it may not roll out for quite some time. This leaves mass emails and advertising as the only way of getting traffic. I will send an email to all currently registered members inviting them back, and you can invite as many other people that might be interested in modding the Nintendo64 Zelda games as well.

Thanks for sticking with us. We can't wait to see what you create.
Edited by Sylux102, Mar 2 2017, 11:23 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JabuJabule
Member Avatar
The Awakened Hero
I got that email, and I'm here checking the site every day either way.

With Breath of The Wild coming out tomorrow, perhaps it'll make people interested in modding. Who knows?

It would also be cool if some members made some more friendly hacking tools. I saw someone released a tunic modifier a few weeks ago, which is very cool. Things along those lines.

Majora of Time
Member Avatar

I got the email as well and I can wait to see what projects come in the future. :)

z64offline
Member Avatar
Empath mapmaker
It's not helping that nintendo is "hen-ing" or "vulturing" over mods.
I think that when those mods went away...most communities went too.
(Idk)

----
Also: I think the community lacks people assembling their skills or pooling into one goal.
3rd quest is the only mod that has a good group and understanding
of their roles and individual skills that (other members may not have) they can pass on their work to eachother
and get something done.

But the work(s) needs to be broken down (unless someone creates a super mod tool with a more comprehensive
updated list of things in it: cutscene, offset/import viewer, character model maker and updated animation editing...but
that's not something I'm expecting--only a suggestion)

---
also: It's my opinion or guess that people are advancing in particular avenues of modding
and not learning other aspects or can't because of things like not wanting to go through the trouble,
not being enough information, and or not having as developed understanding to progress further.

I think that adding video tutorials would be a great move to help kick back things up
but who's gonna do them? Some things we havent seen are How to character model video
or How to make a cutscene and import video

Not saying that this is the silver bullet, but throwing out what I think people need to see.
I think alot of people are hitting so many roadblocks that they just don't bother.
We need more info and explanation videos to help fill the gap. (Idk)
Edited by z64offline, Mar 2 2017, 11:46 AM.

Sylux102
Member Avatar
Founder
Nintendo's legal grounds for that are actually super shakey. They tried to claim copyright infringements with the Game Genie back in the NES days and prevented sales of that device for a year. They lost the court case, and had to pay Galoob (Game Genie maker) all the legal fees plus $15 million US dollars in lost sales. I don't see how mods would be any different, as the legal case ruled that owners of copyrighted works are allowed to modify that work for their own use. Sharing it though, is where it may be different.

z64offline
Member Avatar
Empath mapmaker
I'm just gonna put this out there--I'm not expecting much but,
am just letting people know what I think people may want to see:
this does not represent other people's opinions --people here must voice
what they think--
Video tutorials of:

How to make a custom model
How to make and import custom cutscenes
How to expand roms
How to expand offsets and scenes
How to write in data in a scene
How to read and understand scenes and data within a scene
How to expand space in a scene (redundant?)
How to animate characters and import
Edited by z64offline, Mar 2 2017, 11:57 AM.

Killgore52
Member Avatar
Map Maker
I agree with z64offline, we need to share a lot of what we know and make video tutorials that are very clear and informative.

One thing I have seen from this community is the negative responses people get for posting something that does not really do anything or does not work, or they don't get something that is considered common knowledge. If we want our community to grow then we need to be more welcoming.
One example of this is people who post topics that are redundant or something that actually does not work and someone will give them a reply that has a negative connotation to it. It has happened to me and I have seen it happened to others. The right way to approach these topics is to be informative of why said topic is useless/incorrect. A mod should then filter the topic into it's respective category if it's not in the correct one. I'm not saying everyone does this but I have seen it happen to others as well as myself.

When it comes to having teams that coordinate well, I feel people on here do not know each other that well on here, maybe you guys do but I have only really talked to 2-3 people on here. Not saying that it's bad but I feel people should just share their thoughts, opinions, constructive criticisms on whatever topics. Throw yourself out there and just see what happens. I'm sure everyone does this on here but I'm just going to say it anyway.

Happy modding everyone!

AriaHiro
Member Avatar
A mentally drained friend
tbh most of the modding sites ive been to are jokes. the real magic happens in ircs. spinout's was good for a while for the wiki. dont feel bad.
Edited by AriaHiro, Mar 2 2017, 08:37 PM.

GANONdork123
Member Avatar
Retired Zelda Modding Veteran
Also our sexy Discord group gets a lot done. You can click on the image below to join.

Posted Image

Edited by GANONdork123, Mar 2 2017, 09:09 PM.

Thorkill the Red
Member Avatar

I've always been interested in Zelda modding ever since I first discovered it. I enjoy making the maps and stuff but I am horrible at all the tech stuff. I'm pretty sure I told some people that I was going to try to do stuff for them but that really never got about. Basically the way I work is every once in a while I feel an itch to Zelda mod, I do some work for a couple days or weeks then stop for a couple months and the cycle repeats. Knowing this it might be interesting if we have a place where people like me can drop off maps and such that we make for fun but we don't really have a place for them and we don't feel like taking on a whole project. We would have to make sure that people don't just drop off crap there but I have a bunch of neat maps laying around not being used. Some are more finished that others but I still think someone could use them.
I also think it would be cool if someone made some Zelda 64 T-shirts. Not only would they help promote the site but the funds could help pay for the costs of running. And I just want a shirt.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Announcements & News · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: