Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements

Welcome to Zelda64.net. Announcements can be found below!
As of 3.1.2017, this site seems pretty dead. Or on the brink of dying. So I've decided to try to help it out. Z64 is having its theme reworked to be more modern and professional. I'll try my best to get back into the Zelda modding scene. Hopefully we can get this place back up without the cobwebs (and without looking like a web page from the 1990s). Enjoy the current Zelda64 Dark theme over the next few days while I finish sorting out the rest of it and the Light theme. Thanks for sticking with us. Sylux102 out.
Welcome to Zelda64. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. A valid email address is required. Your email address will NOT be sold as it is only needed to prevent spammers (and admittedly, some still get around this, but this makes it a bit more difficult, plus, if the moderators need to contact you, we have an email on file to do so). Thanks for considering us!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A few random questions
Topic Started: May 12 2017, 02:28 PM (792 Views)
ZenShadow
Member Avatar
ZenShadow
I've actually been able to find my way pretty well for the last bit of time, but I gave up on these.

1:
How do I fix stretched textures? The SM64 Texture Fixer thing completely deletes all of the level geometry in the level, so the textures don't even appear.

2:
I know for a fact that you can make young Link shoot arrows, (since there's a forum post about it in the tutorials section) but can you make adult Link shoot Deku Seeds with the bow?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CDi-Fails
Member Avatar

1) Edit the .obj to start with a group. Alternatively, reapply the texture entirely so that there's no excessive tiling (I've heard that a texture can't repeat more than 32 times, and copying a texture from another face to make it tile probably uses the original face as a reference for the UV mapping and you end up with some gigantic coordinates that cause stetching. Therefore, if you reapply the texture and realign it to match the surrounding faces, it recalculates the UV coords and may give a better result...not entirely sure on the technical aspect of this, though.)

2) Probably. Haven't got a clue how to, though.

Psi-Hate
Member Avatar
Average user who wants to mod :P
You need to open up the "insertname_uva.obj" in a text editor and add "g mesh" above "#vertice" for the mesh to actually appear.

ZenShadow
Member Avatar
ZenShadow
@CDI-Fails + Psi-Hate
Thanks!
Either way, I'm screwed atm for working on maps. Sure, I can work on the map, but www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/ is currently losing it's mind and refuses to convert anything.
(Obj exporter plugins refuse to work, and I don't have pro so I'm forced to export to .dae. Other converters act really fidgety with me and idk how to use them haha)

Also, I remember a few months ago having modify an obj in a text editor, but I forgot what it was for and never used the texture fixer again, since I never had the stretching issue again up until now.
Ok so some weird crap just went down on SharpOcarina.
(I tested it with the new 0.70 and the old 0.60 versions of SO)
I put down a metal gate and a switch. I set up the switch flag, all that good stuff, and the switch never appears on my map, but the gate does.
After experimenting for about 20 minutes, the only thing that fixes it is if the outdoor scene thing is unchecked. I already planned on unchecking that at one point, but a big problem came up with that.

This is how the map looks with outdoor scene selected:
https://gyazo.com/75fcab43aa99df437e8b7e469df7414a

And this is how the map looks with outdoor scene unchecked...
https://gyazo.com/8e141930e5a57d51ad7c0d57237f7048?token=d04fc231bbf3e29558a5e4ca01f4c4e2

It wouldn't be a problem normally, but the crystal switch refuses to appear on the map unless this is turned off.
Anyone know a way to either fix the outdoor scene textures, or make the switch appear?
Edited by ZenShadow, May 14 2017, 02:30 PM.

CDi-Fails
Member Avatar

Switches use object 0003, aka object_dangeon_keep. As you can guess by the Engrish title, it's an object for all of the common dungeon actors. SharpOcarina does two main things when you set a map to outdoors: it changes some settings in the 0xD9 commands of all display lists (RSP geometry mode command) to enable smooth lighting based on vertex normals, and then changes the 0x07 command in the scene's header (special object command) to enable object 0003 instead of 0002, which would be gameplay_field_keep. Since switches are dungeon actors and use object 0003, they won't appear when object 0002 is loaded-- the graphical assets wouldn't be there, so the game decides not to load anything. If you want to have a map with smooth lighting that still functions as a dungeon, check the "outdoor map" setting in SharpOcarina and manually change the 0x07 command in your scene's header to use object 0003 (and also disable the skybox, set to night and freeze time, and do whatever else you want to give the impression of an indoors map.)
Edited by CDi-Fails, May 14 2017, 03:21 PM.

ZenShadow
Member Avatar
ZenShadow
Cool. I originally planned on making the area permanently night, but wasn't sure how.
Also, I realized that switches are never used outside of indoor areas, so that was on the list of "oh. duh."

So uh, I'm guessing I need to use SceneNavi for this? I've never messed with "scene headers" and stuff.

Psi-Hate
Member Avatar
Average user who wants to mod :P
You simply just open up the scene and room files in a hex editor and edit the bytes needed.
You can find the needed information here: http://wiki.cloudmodding.com/oot/Scenes_and_Rooms

For example, to change the time of day (Or disable it rather), search "10000000" in the beginning of your room file, and write the following into the next 4 bytes: "FFFF0000" and when injecting the scene with Hylian Toolbox, said edited room will make it where no time flows.

ZenShadow
Member Avatar
ZenShadow
Ugh. I hate reviving dead posts, but I'd rather do this than make another question post.

(Deleted main post due to it being too long and not "straight-to-the-point" lol)
Tl;dr, lighting is super wonky and sm64 texture fix deletes all groups but the main one.

https://gyazo.com/793d28526b794156eb497d05dd9896e8
Like, a strip of the first wall is dark, then it suddenly gets really bright, then gets darker, and REALLY lights up at the end of the wall.

My model (AFTER using the texture fix)
Spoiler: click to toggle

I can't really remember, but didn't someone once say to re-import the fixed obj into Sketchup and re-export it?

Update:
Reimported a fixed obj, retextured it, and it was even worse than before..
Edited by ZenShadow, Dec 1 2017, 11:32 PM.

AcelibN64
Member Avatar

Ima just post my notes

Ok so first make your model in sketchup obviously
Then run Cleanup3 on the model
Then export as an obj
Then use the sm64 texture fixer
Then import the obj into SketchUp and make any groups if the map needs them
Them save as an skp
Then make the collision and delete all textures, then run Cleanup3
Then save as an skp
Then import the skp of the mesh into 3dsmax and re export as an obj
Then do the same for the collision
That's for maps without vertex coloring
Now if there is vertex coloring import the skp of the mesh into 3dsmax and add the vertex colors, then export as a dae
Then import the dae into blender and use nokas exporter plugin
And that's it
Also DO NOT convert to obj using a website
Edited by AcelibN64, Dec 3 2017, 01:19 AM.

ZenShadow
Member Avatar
ZenShadow
Thanks! I think I figured it out, though.
Either the automatic triangulation is messing up a specific face in the model, or there's just something wrong with the model. The built in collision viewer in SharpOcarina is a lot more useful than I thought, since there's an invisible line that isn't even there after multiple attempts at triangulation.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Questions · Next Topic »
Add Reply